Sunday, November 09, 2008

Things that Warm the Heart

Today, as I do every day, I popped on over to FreePatterns.com to see what the free craft pattern of the day was. I have found a few good projects on this site, and include it in my daily browse. Some days I like the project of the day, and some days I don't. I don't knit or crochet or do needlepoint, although I have been known to do counted cross stitch, so most of those projects I brush right past.

Today's project was this doll - which did not much interest me - so I was just about to click off to another website when up popped the Munchkin.

"What's that, Mommy?" he asked.

"This tells me how to make this doll, sweetie. Do you think Mommy should make this?" - I held my breath even as I said it, knowing I might regret asking that question.

"No Mommy, you don't need to make that. You need to make a blanket."

And when my son says "blanket" - he really means "quilt".

Yes!!! He is a smart child! But I could not leave well enough alone.

"I was thinking of making a new blanket for your big boy bed (we just moved him into a twin bed Friday night) - would you like to help me?"

"Yes, Mommy. But where is the new blanket???" - he looked around, expecting it to appear in my pile of projects in the dining room.

um - we haven't started it yet - haven't picked a pattern - don't have the fabric - and probably won't have time to work on it until a batch of Christmas quilts get finished...

But those little details do not matter -the boy wants a blanket - a blanket made by Mommy.

Sleep is overrated- I will get started on it now!!!

4 comments:

Anjeanette said...

Oh you are a good mommie! I can't get my son to like anything other than his falling apart baby blanket.

Sweet that he knows you so well;)

Oh and I've never seen that site before.Thanks for the tip;)

Jen said...

You didn't see this coming?? Come on Regina, make the boy a quilt!!!

Gina said...

What a terrible mum, not dropping everything to make your son a new quilt BEFORE he moved into his new bed. Tut Tut.

love and hugs Gina xxx

Barb said...

doncha love it when your kids WANT something made by you rather than store bought. I'm dreading the day when my kids want a store bought "blanket" on their bed