Thursday, August 24, 2006

the true source of inspiration

The other day I asked where your inspriation came from - and mentioned how I got inspired at a craft show - but thinking about it more I realize the inspration to do what I do goes even deeper than seeing all kinds of projects and wanting to do them - it comes from having good teachers to get me started...

From my oldest sister teaching me sewing at age - oh - probably about 6 and then teaching me quilting at age - oh - probably about 36 (give or take a few years) - we have come a loong way since that purple apron made from a pattern traced on newspaper...

From my oldest brother... oh all sorts of things although he mainly teaches by example - fine woodworking, fine photography, fine cooking, fine kitemaking... he does not do anything halfway...

From my next sister (get comfortable - there are a lot of us!) - rubber stamps and more rubber stamps and more rubber stamps - and more recently beading... and the attention to the tiny tiny details - she helped me conquer my fear of coloring and let me think outside the lines!

From my 3rd sister - papercrafts, more beading but different, and very very cool lettering which I have never had the patience to master - and you gotta see her ceramics and ArtClay Silver - things I wish I had the equipment to try... She has been great about giving me lessons on the fly during all too short visits -and making me stretch outside my comfort zone in colors and combinations.

From my other brother... lots about music and theater, and now some cooking, too... And how to write letters at certain times that are real "keepers"...

And lets not forget Mom and Dad - cake decorating (and frosting sampling!), cooking, gardening, basic carpentry (experience with aluminum siding and roof shingles!) - and more...

I could go on and on but lets just say they all have taught me in one way or another that the best tools in my toolbox are the ones at the ends of my arms combined with the one between my ears.

Thanks for the inspiration! I am working on passing it down to the next generation!

No comments: