Friday, August 18, 2006

Giving From the Heart



Last night I went to a bridal shower, and it was interesting to see the bride as she reacted to different gifts. Many were items from her registry, and those made her happy. A few were for her honeymoon, and those made her blush. And mine was handmade - and it made her cry.

I think that is why I like giving handmade gifts so much - they touch people in a way that a purchased gift often cannot. They can be so personalized, and not only are you giving the recipient an item, you are giving the gift of your time and your talent, and that is meaningful to most people.

My gift to the bride? A photograph of a rose from my rosebush - she had always wanted to get married in a rose garden in Canada, but logistics prevented that - so I brought a rose garden to her that she and her new husband can have with them always.

No comments: