Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Recipe Time - "sushi" sweets

So what's a gal to do when she wants to pull out her dish ware from her life in Japan and share a nice meal with her in-laws, but she knows they don't care for sushi?

Make it sweet!!

We had Hubby's family over for dinner one night - a few years back - and although I can't recall what the dinner menu was - Sweet Sushi was our dessert.

This glorious selection was made up of various cake rolls (Hostess/Little Debbie type stuff), a rice type granola bar (I think - don't remember exactly), and fruit gummies for garnish. Oh - and our "soy sauce" was actually chocolate syrup.

I just wandered through the grocery store looking at boxed food and thinking - "hmm - that looks 'sushi-ish'" and adding them to my cart. It was loads of fun.

I did find that it helped to freeze the cake rolls prior to slicing to keep them from squishing down and getting all deformed.

6 comments:

Higgins Design Studio said...

Now that is my kind of sushi! I have had 'real' sushi, of various types, and enjoyed it. The sweet kind is wonderful!
Love you sis!
Cindy

Barb said...

That is totally cool. You could build a whole party "theme" around this. I just may steel this idea for my dd's next birthday. Have all the girls dress up in kimonos ~ or maybe that'll be part of the party ~ provide hand made ones and do up their hair with the fancy chopsticks and the white make up... serve "wrapped" sandwiches that are also cut up like sushi... WOW ~ thanks Regina ~ any other ideas you can think of?

Jennifer said...

What a great idea! I will have to steal this one from you. I think Rachael Ray did something like this in her magazine a couple years ago too...she used fruit roll ups as the outside layer, but I can't remember what was inside. I love the idea of using it for a party.

Jill said...

very cool. much easier than making the stuff, which i've heard of before for kids lunches and stuff. neat.

debbie said...

Now that is the only kind of sushi I would ever eat! :o) lol

Darling Jill Quilts said...

*giggle* that is too funny! I looked at the picture and immediately though 'yummy' and then I saw the chop sticks and thought 'what the..?' and then read your post and was back to 'Yummy!' I'm odd. And that's all I have to say 'bout that.