Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mommy's Handmade Goodness

When Hubby and I were anticipating the birth of the Munchkin, we were on a tight budget, and I spent a lot of time doing price comparisons and quality checks on different baby items before we made any purchases.

We were very very fortunate to have friends and family who were very generous with hand-me-downs and shower gifts, but I also realized I could save some money by making some things myself. Online resources gave me patterns for baby sheets (which I made by cutting down a double bed flat flannel sheet), and I kind of made up the dust ruffle and curtains as I went along. A quilt, duvet cover and pillowcases soon followed.

I did not make a lot of his clothes, but fleece hats, mittens and jackets were easy patterns to find and make, and my little guy was cozy and warm. I even did about half of his baby food from scratch, made his bibs from towels, and made big fabric baskets to hold his toys.

My resources were varied and many - most of them from websites or mommy forums I belonged to, some made up as I went along.

Yesterday I found this website that groups a lot of these resources in one place: Handmade baby stuff. I even entered the Munchkin's baby quilt in their current contest (Raiding the Dwarves' Closet)

I don't make as many things for the Munchkin anymore - he is eating what we eat, and we have even more hand me downs for him now so I am not doing so much clothing for him. He does need a new pair of mittens for this winter, and soon we will be moving up and out of the toddler bed and into a twin bed, so perhaps a new quilt is in order.

I get the biggest kick out of him though - he knows what I have made, and last winter every time we put on his mittens he said "Mommy made these..."

Yes, buddy - and lots of love went into every single stitch!!!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I think homemade things are the best; especially for those that appreciate things. He knows you made it with love!

Barb said...

what wonderful memories he will carry with him all his life! You are such a good mommy.

Anonymous said...

That is just too adorable. A lot of love goes into what we do and make. Amen to you for taking the time to do so. I have made burp cloths, diapers, and quilts so far. oh baby food too. We definitely don't turn down any hand me downs. Thank God for other peoples generosity.

Gina said...

I did exactly the same with Gemma.
My FIL bought us her cot and my parents her pram. The big maternity store ran a savings club so we put money away each month to get her high chair and car seat.
he rest was home made and hand me downs. I was never to proud to accept these, unlike alot of mothers I knew. I couldn't find anybody willing to take them from me once Gemma had grown out of them so they all went to the charity shops.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Jill said...

that's really nice. we got 3 crocheted blankets, a quilt, and 6 hand-done (not store bought) receiving blankets. pretty awesome. we appreciate all the stitching, time and consideration that went into them. i can see you have a very lucky little one. I can paint and embroider but the rest is beyond me.