Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This quilt brought me to my knees...

I am working on my first ever watercolor quilt - fusing 1" squares of fabric to a fusible gridded interfacing, then stitching along the grid to form a mosaic design. It is still a work in progress, but I thought I would share how I spent 4 hours yesterday, mostly on my knees.

I started with an image I found online, and through various manipulations I turned it into a mosaic pattern (tutorial to follow on this someday - I hope). The general gist of it is a seahorse in a bed of seaweed underwater. This will be the center panel of a baby quilt for a mommy who loves seahorses.

I used the printout first as a fabric buying and cutting guide, and then primarily as a guide to assembling the seahorse - once I had that in place I got a little more freewheeling with the seaweed and water squares.

I started out by unrolling the interfacing on the kitchen floor (and yes, I have way more than enough, but there is another project planned for the remnant). The bottle of sunscreen is anchoring the interfacing where it ran in front of the heat vent since it was blowing things all around. I did have some trouble seeing the grids because they were light brown on a brown floor, so I added a piece of paper under the area I wanted to work on to help.

I slid my pressing mat under the interfacing, adding a few placemats under that to catch the heat and steam, and started fusing things in place right on the kitchen floor (the floor was clean - my in laws had visited the day before!) Once I was able to get up and around the seahorse itself to get it fused down, I decided to move the entire operation to the ironing board.

Unfortunately, even with the estimates provided by the pattern I came up short on my fabrics and right now the top of the seahorse is barely under water. I need a trip to the fabric store to get just a few more inches of the blues, and to determine my borders, backing and bindings.

The baby shower is May 10th - don't think I am going to make it - but I may surprise myself.

9 comments:

Lazy Sister Sue said...

What? No turtle in there? Just kidding, it is looking awesome, can't wait to see the finished project. I'm sure the Mom wouldn't mind getting an IOU at the shower. Wrap up what you have so far so she can get an idea of what's coming.

Barb said...

Regina ~ that quilt is awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product. Finishing up my split 9 patch (or disappearing 9 patch) today and will post it later tonight. I'm teaching it at one of the LQS's in a couple of weeks.

SewPaula said...

That's going to be one beautiful baby quilt.

Amelia said...

A lot of work but the results is going to be worth it.

amelia in Oklahoma

Colleen said...

I've never seen this technique before. It looks amazing! Can't wait for a tutorial someday.

Pollyanna said...

CRAZY!!!

You are crazy. This is sooo much work. I've never seen anything like it. But I do love how it is coming out. You get the gold star for the week for this one. Put some ice on those knees and take a break. I can't wait to see it finished. Amazing!

Moneik said...

That is turning out really awesome. I'm sure the baby's mother will love it. Good luck with all the little squares.

Natalie said...

Goodness, Regina - that's gorgeous!

I'm in awe!

Gina said...

What a fabulous looking quilt. I'm sure the mother ( and baby) will love it.

love and hugs xxx