Saturday, June 06, 2009

2 more finishes

I got a couple of sewing sessions in this morning - the Munchkin and I took a mid-morning break to restock some videos and toys (and coffee!) upstairs - and then I was at it again.

I finished 2 different pillowcases - one for a birthday party this afternoon, and the other one for the Munchkin.

Both of these were start to finish projects - and I did a bit of stash busting with the black flange and the cuff on the Cars pillowcase.

The star fabric on the hockey case is a staple fabric I like to use for the body of pillowcases - it is nice and soft and cool on your face, but the stars give it a nice little dimension. It is a mid-range price fabric at JoAnn's, too - so when I have a good coupon or there is a good sale, I like to stock up on this one. It also makes a nice white-on-white for other projects.

I like to use this neutral for most of my case bodies for 3 reasons. The first is cost - I can do a novelty fabric cuff with 1/4 yard and not break my budget. The second is quality - sometimes I find the novelty fabric I want, but it is not a nice smooth soft finish for sleeping on. The third is best described as "restfulness" - I once had someone comment that the pillowcase I made was nice, but that the fabric was very busy and they did not find it restful when going to sleep.

I usually evaluate the focus fabric I have, and then decide what approach to take on a case by case basis ('scuse the pun!) - you can see with the Cars fabric that I opted to use that as the body and use stash for the cuff.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Great job on the 2 finishes for today. The fabrics are cute. Now my comment to the person who told you fabric on a pillow case you made for them wasn't restful. Excuse me but when you're going to sleep the lights are off and your eyes are closed. You can't even see the pillow case.

Jen said...

I have a ridiculous uncle who makes these same pillow case comments.

Sure, I'm agreeing with two start to finishes!

Linda said...

Very cute and thanks for the insight about pillowcases. I'm getting ready to start making some for the first time.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Awesome! Way to go! Fantabulous!! I never thought of fabric being too busy to be restful. Can you really see it in the dark? giggle

Moneik said...

Great Job on the pillowcases. You've got so many finishes! I need to get busy. This week will be better now that the quilt show is over.