Saturday, March 14, 2009

Do you want insurance on that?

Today I took a huge leap of faith and shipped four quilt tops off to be machine quilted.

The leap of faith was not at all a reflection of the skills of the person doing the work for me ... it was a reflection of my doubts in my own skills.

Up until now I have always shown people quilts that are done - they get to see the pretty outside, the nice backing, the carefully hand stitched bindings. Hidden from sight are uneven seam allowances, threads that escaped snipping, dog ears from triangles that I never trimmed, wonky pressing jobs, eased seams...

Showing my "backsides" to someone else is like walking outside in my underwear - somewhat embarrassing. You always wonder if the people that see you like that can ever get that mental image out of their head?

...but today I took that leap of faith and put my "undies" out there for someone else to see.

(not to mention the leap of faith in entrusting FOUR quilt tops to the dubious safety of a box that is going on a truck and traveling three states away. Four tops made of so much more than fabrics and threads - but made of memories, too)

"What's the value on this package?"

...priceless!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now Regina,
EVERYONE knows that if you concentrate too much on someone's backside then you can't see what they're really worth, their heart. Which is what's sewn into your quilts. Everyone who does sewing for fun and not for pure profit understands that.

Anonymous said...

Amen Jill. My sentiments exactly.

Barb said...

I think the scariest part is trusting the postal service, for sure. Can't wait to see the finished projects.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Don't worry! I won't look at your backside! :)

Anjeanette said...

Oh I'm feeling naked right there with you. And eeek for letting your children go like that. It will be nice when they are home and done. I'm sure the quilter has seen it all!!

Jen said...

Ohhhh your quilts will be fine!! They're in good hands. You know, when I did some for Jill and the ones of Moneik's I never even looked at the back side!!