Friday, July 18, 2008

You learn something new everyday

From an IM conversation with my nephew, DragonBen (8)

DragonBen: I'm going to write you a song

Me: ok

DragonBen: Queen Bee Buzz, Queen Bee Buzz, Queen Bee Bee Bee

DragonBen: Queen Queen Queen Bee Bee Bee Buzz Buzz Buzz

DragonBen: Queens do not buzz

Me: really?

DragonBen: that's it

DragonBen: yes

Me: thanks - that's a cool song.

DragonBen: good bye Queen Bee

DragonBen: that's it

Although I was unable to verify the information about queen bee not buzzing, I did find some interesting facts about bees.

And this seems to tell me that the queen does buzz - but not very often, since she just sits around letting the other bees wait on her most of the time: the buzzing sound is from the wings, which beat around 250 times per second. It's not just bees - flies buzz, as to dragonflies, ants (the flying ones) and also moths and hummingbirds. They don't just flap up and down, but in a rotational pattern, which is how bumblebees are able to fly despite their comparatively large weight and small wing surface area.

I think I will go buzz off now.

That's It

Clarification posted in comments by DragonBen: What I was trying to say is that the queen that is the king's wife is the queen that does not buzz.

DragonBen

2 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

That's pretty funny! Did you see that I still have the lead? Granted it's a very small, minimal lead, but's it's still the lead!

MYM

Anonymous said...

What I was trying to say is that the queen that is the king's wife is the queen that does not buzz.

DragonBen