Saturday, October 11, 2008

'Cause I just gotta modify things...

When I first looked at the pattern for the AeroPacs, I thought they were pretty cool - but I was a bit apprehensive about all that bias tape - especially since I was multiplying it by 12.

So true to my typical form - I changed the pattern a bit. I cut all the pieces about 1/2" wider than the pattern indicated.

On the angled pockets I topstitched for stability instead of adding bias binding.

On the straight pockets I used Velcro Fusion so I could just add it in later.

I created a strap from 2" wide fabric - pressing it in half, pressing each side in, and then stitching once down the middle.

I basted the top velcro flap to the top of the front, and the angled pockets to the side of the back.

I omitted any batting.

To assemble, I pinned the strap in place at the top front, about 1/2" in from each side, and then lay the back on top of it, wrong sides together. I started stitching at the strap, back-stitching for strength, and stitched 1/4" all the way around. I trimmed with pinking shears and turned right side out.

After pressing I top-stitched just along the top edge of the pouch to close the seam allowance.

No bias binding, no fuss, no muss, no bother - just a bit more bulk at the sides.
I would do it again this way.

2 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Oh Regina! I'm totally like that. I have to change things up and can almost never follow the pattern/directions exactly.

It is fun to see other people are like that too;)

Barb said...

Sounds like a lot of stuff we've learned from doing things the "Lazy" way. Love it!!!!