Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dirty Tales from the Garden - local wildlife

I came across this little guy as I was out with the camera one afternoon. I don't recall ever seeing a caterpillar quite like this one before -so I had to do a little research to find out what he was.

Turns out he is a Hickory Tussock Moth caterpillar - likes to munch on black walnut leaves - which explains his presence in this bed under the tree.

He really loses his glamour when he transforms, as you can see in these photos of the moth.

Turns out he is also well protected - as handling him can cause a poison ivy type rash. They call this type of caterpillar a "stinging caterpillar."

Glad I kept my hands to myself!

2 comments:

Anjeanette said...

Yikes! Cool looking, but glad you didn't touch afterall. Geez. I think I may have tried touching it. Note to self: Don't always touch everything.

Job said...

glad you didn't touch!!! great photo!!!!