Sunday, March 09, 2008

Rituals

For as long as I can remember - back even when I was a kid - I have always loved the Sunday edition of the newspaper. Whenever possible, I have always liked to read the ENTIRE paper, cover to cover, as part of my Sunday morning ritual. As I grew older and developed a taste for coffee - Sunday mornings have usually started with a hot cup and a fresh paper.

My hubby knows that this little thing makes me happy - so he always lets me get to the paper first. Even The Munchkin's first Sunday of life was spent in Mommy's arms as she read the Sunday funnies (although our paper got interrupted that morning by the arrival of SC Gramma and Grandpa, so the full experience had to wait a week or so). Even now he's learned to respect Mommy's time with her paper.

So on days like today - when the paper is not waiting outside the front door when I get downstairs - I am thrown off kilter. The snowstorm and daylight savings time combined to conspire against my Sunday ritual.

So instead we had homemade coffee cake (The Munchkin helped), and enjoyed the sunshine after the storm.

And the paper just got delivered -and now all is right with the world! At least for now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be genetic, I prefer to read the whole paper, in order. Someone else here always pulls out the sports page first. Luckily, we get two papers each day but even then I prefer reading Aiken's paper first. This morning it was late so I had to share the Augusta paper and read it out of order. Then when the Aiken paper finally arrived I had to share that one too. (pout,pout) I love the photo of you reading the "intellectual" section!
LYL,MYM!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Funny how habits can be comforting isn't it? I'm a CNN addict. I have to have my coffee and CNN for about an hour each morning. My entire day is "off" without it.

Moneik said...

I like to read our Sunday paper too. We pick it up at the store, so sometimes it's later in the day than I would like, but oh well.

Anjeanette said...

What a great picture!!

I like when the kiddos pile into bed with my hubby and I on Saturday and Sunday mornings and we snuggle and tickle and talk and laugh.

My mom always reads the paper from the back to the front. Something about it being easier for her to handle with all the folding and stuff...

Connie said...

Ah, I remember when I used to be able to read the Sunday paper! Life of late is just too hectic--so much to do all the time that even Sunday mornings aren't sacred anymore! Your ritual sounds just lovely!!!!