This has turned into this:
(or what you can see of this - it is much larger!)
Unfortunately the block formation method I am using does not allow for a seam allowance to enable the unsashed tesselation I fell in love with a month ago. I believe that a paper pieced version of this block might allow that - but I had already committed to this method in a big way (like in 120 blocks big) before I realized the situation.
A shipment of fabric from my personal buyer Jill that was destined for the back now moved to the front -and lots and lots of sashing was added - increasing the quilt size by nearly 18 inches side to side, and 21 in length. I still have enough for the back - although I did need to "reorder" from Jill to finish up the borders all around. This is now big enough for a twin sized bedspread I think - although I have not made final measurements yet.
It's been more sewing than I originally envisioned - but I am still loving the colors and the scrap-bustyness of it all, and can't wait to give it to my Dad in person when we visit in October.
A bit late for the August birthday (Happy belated birthday, Dad) but I like in person deliveries best.
More pics to follow when I can hang it up outside and get a full length shot on the camera instead of on the cell phone!
Then to figure out how to quilt this one!