Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Clothesline Shots

I am loving my clothesline this summer -not so much for drying laundry (especially since last time I tried that the one and only rain cloud in the sky opened up on my yard) but for getting wonderful shots of my completed flimsies. I don't have a big design wall or open floor space inside - so especially when my quilts are big, getting a good photo is a challenge. Don't know what I will do with any quilts I finish once the weather turns? Maybe a snowbound clothesline shot will be worth a try?! :-)

This flimsie above pairs up with the pieced backing below and I hope to have it quilted and delivered to Dad in mid-October when we go visit.

If you do a closeup look on the backing, you can see the tools on the fabric - I had to do a bit of creative piecing to get it wide enough - and then had to piece again when I mismeasured the first insert... but I like how it turned out. It used up a few of the extra blocks I had made. The lighter large piece of fabric near the bottom is brush strokes so looks like it was paintbrushed - a great fit with the tools.

Thanks again to Jill for her fabric shopping - and then sending me the extra piece of the dark rust that she had bought for herself so that I could eek out enough borders for the top, and extra for the back.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Your dad will LOVE it! I love how the colors of the back coordinate with the front, along with the neat fabrics. ...and mid-October is the perfect time for a new quilt!
Have a great weekend!
Michelle

Barb said...

Oh, yes, Michelle is right, your dad will love it!

jillquilts said...

They both look great!! I really love how the sashing turned out!

Jennifer said...

Great quilt! I love the backing too - the pieced ones have so much character.

Suzan said...

Very pretty! I love how you hang the quilt tops on the line for your photos. Clever gal! I don't have a clothes line so mine end up draped over furniture for photos!

Linda and Piwacket said...

Beautiful! You're so right about the clotheline. Putting one in my backyard is on my never-ending "to do" list.

orchidlover said...

Looks great.
I put my big quilts on the line for photos aswell. Trouble is I have to be careful as to get all the quilt in I have to stand on the very edge of the pond. One moment of unbalance and it's swimming time for me.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Babs said...

Hi Regina,
I love this idea! You can't even tell the top picture is a flimsie! The sunny day and greenery from the grass and trees frame it so well. Looks like a picture you'd see in a magazine.

I think I'll ask my husband to make me one in the backyard. I'm thinking I know his answer though...plus, I think he'd think I was going to start taking over the laundry. Hummmm, I'll have to think about how bad I want one LOL.

Again, so pretty. Can't wait to see more quilts hanging up!

-Barb