Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Birth Month is over 1/3 complete

Being short - February just seems to zing right by - although I am sure those buried under feet of snow will disagree with me this year! Being in a normally snowy area that has not really gotten that much snow this season, it is strange to be reading of blizzards elsewhere and have nothing here but a low covering on the ground and mostly dry roads. NOTE - this is NOT a complaint -just an observation!!!!

We are over 1/3 through the month -and the Giveaway deadline is TOMORROW!!! Be sure to comment on the giveaway post for a chance at the "big" prizes!! LOL!

Gift giving continues on a daily basis here - hugs, iPod headphone extension cords, I Spy books, chocolate and Legos have been a few of the favorites for child and adult alike -

Tonight's gifty was a handmade one for the Munchkin - a robot placemat and coaster in preparation for his robot themed birthday party. The robot fabric was one I picked up over the weekend during my shop hop with Shellie.

It is just a fat quarter, so I wanted to stretch it as far as I could. I have plans for some other little robot goodies, so I just took a small 6" wide strip to make the coaster and the focal strip on the placemat, stitching it down onto a batting foundation, and adding various solids which were in the "rainbow" of fabrics sent to me by Jill a few weeks ago (with the exception of the red - which has been in my stash for YEARS!!!!! Seriously - 3 states, 7 moves, and I still have scraps of it!)

The overall effect was cool - kind of retro like the robots - and very masculine. He LOVES it - which is the best effect of all! It's a tiny bit smaller than I would have liked, and a bit wonky -but it fits his plate, coaster and cup with no problem so I guess we are good.

One other little gifty I made this month was not for Birth Month, but for my sister-in-law, who was a bit under the weather and in need of a heating pad. I love love love my rice bags for nice moist heat on sore spots, so I put one together for her -complete with two removable covers -one flannel and one straight cotton. Each has a little flange and cuff just like the big pillowcases I make - for a bit of fun and extra comfort.

Hopefully they won't get too much use - but now she has them when she needs them.

2 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Have any books been gifted yet? Has the Munchkin enjoyed them?

Very cool placemat!! I'm glad that the colors are working out for you! :)

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Love the rice packs. I will be making some of those for mom here in the next week or so. She is going to need them.