Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sweat Shop Products

Since I am delivering 2 of these pillowcases tomorrow - I thought I would give a sneak peak - and let you see the other 2 as well since you really can't see the focus fabric so it won't give too much away.
And the big project I have been working on is one giant step closer to completion. I put the triple borders on the pinwheel and really like how it makes the center pop even more. The middle border is made from leftover charms from the charm packs I used to make the pinwheels, and the inner and outer borders are fabrics from that line as well - I was sure to pull them out of the middle border so there would be more contrast, but that's hard to tell in this photo.

And for the first time ever I have done a pieced backing. I found a bargain fabric that worked with the front fabrics - but unfortunately it was a bit shy of being large enough to do the entire backing - so I scraped together the leftovers from the front outermost border, a piece I had purchased to possibly use for the inner border, and some marble charm squares left over from the pinwheel and middle border piecing. I chose not to put any of the prints in there - only the marbles - as the other backing fabric has a kind of busy print to it. I scrounged enough from the bottom leftover pieces to make another strip of the bargain backing to make my "inset" wide enough for the quilt back, and then just stitched it all together. It looks a little puckery here but I think it's just the way it is being held (thanks Hubby!)

The layers are now all pinned with a layer of flannel in the middle and once I pick up some thread tomorrow the machine quilting can begin - diagonal all the way - including the borders.

And the quilt now has a name .... "On Pinwheels and Kneedles" - it's a gift for Hubby's mother as she undergoes knee replacement next month.

6 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

LOVE IT!!! It looks great! And the backing is pretty cool, too!! Way to go!

Gina said...

What a great quilt and backing. I haven't the courage to piece my backing yet. Maybe in the future.
Love the penguins on the pillow case

Love and hugs Gina xxx

piecesofpatti said...

Looks great! I like the pieced backing.

Shellie said...

I like the three borders..it does make the center pop. You can whip out so much.... you go! The focus fabric turned out great for a pillow case. It all looks wonderful.

Anjeanette said...

OH I LOVE PINWHEELS!! I have a project of pinwheels just sitting here...

I love to see what you are up to! You make amaing things.

Linda said...

I have some of that frog material, and I think I just bought some of the penguin fabric on my trip to L.A. Everything you do looks great!