Saturday, August 08, 2009

Pinwheels

This is what I have been working on lately - in between Halloween blocks and other little projects. This is from the Moda Northern Solitude line of fabrics - I found a layer cake (10" squares) of this when I was on my retreat in April and just fell in love with it. I was not sure what I wanted to do - so I sat with it for a while - picking up 2 more charm packs (5" squares) "just in case" -

I ended up cutting the Layer Cake in quarters to make 4 more sets of 5" squares.

To make the pinwheels, I divided four of the stacks into lights and darks, and then made two pairs each of a light and dark. I stitched those into half square triangle and then into pinwheel blocks. This did not quite use up all 4 charm packs - there are a few pieces left.

My plan is to add an inner border, then a pieced border of 2 1/2" x 5" rectangles cut from the remaining charm packs, then a wide outer border. It should finish as a generous lap quilt size.

If I had it all to do again, I think I would do random spokes on each pinwheel and have it overall scrappier looking than this - and scatter the colors more widely that way. But I am happy with how this is looking, and can't wait to see how the triple border pulls it all together.

Oh - and I made my first Baby Honu the other night. More to come on that.

5 comments:

Shellie said...

Love it!! It turned out great.

Anjeanette said...

Oh I'm in love with Pinwheels lately. I have purchased honey buns and jelly rolls, but no cakes of any sort yet. I LOVE honey buns and jelly rolls. I bet I would love cakes too;)

This is lovely!!

Gina said...

Love the quilt. I've seen layer cakes but haven't been tempted as yet. I've only just got into jelly Rolls, I'm so behind the times. LOL

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Shellie said...

Cant wait to see your baby honu.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Very cool! I'm still working on a name for you! Of course, I'm having fun coming up with naps that relate to being drunk and falling down which is how most of my family (OK, just me) have hurt my knees! Kidding - cuz of course the last fall was on ICE! :)