Friday, December 07, 2007

Serendipity...


is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.

Last night I went out looking to teach a class, and came home after discovering some great new friends.

The class was on two Lazy Girl patterns - the Wonder Wallet, and the Checkbook Cover. I had been offering these in continuing education programs at two different schools since Fall of 2006, but unfortunately I could never get more than one person to sign up, which was lower than the minimum the schools required, and so the classes never ran.

It turns out that the one person signing up each time was the same person - "G" - who REALLY wanted to make a checkbook cover for her mother for Christmas. She finally asked if I would be willing to come to her house for a private lesson if this last class at the school was canceled, and I said "sure!"

It turns out that "G" hosts a weekly girls crafting night with some of her friends, and two of them also joined us. "G" made both patterns, and one other friend just made the wallet, and one woman was just there to relax and socialize.

I tell ya - sometimes you walk into a home and meet new people and feel like you have known them forever - this was one of those times! I got a chuckle out of "G's" son, who came in and said "Mom - where's the teacher?" and when he was told it was me he said "Oh, I just thought she was one of the regular ladies!"

I like that - "regular ladies" - and when "G" asked if I would consider coming back and joining their group - I did not hesitate to say "YES!!!"

From teacher to friend - all in less than 3 hours - what a great way to spend an evening!!!

No comments: