Friday, December 28, 2012

Forays into Knitting

I am not a knitter - not really.  Though Mom tried to teach me over 30 years ago - the biggest project I think I ever completed then was a blanket for my Sunshine Family dolls.  I just never had the patience - the projects just grew too slowly for me.

So now I am older, wiser (?), and a wee bit more patient -so I decided to try again.  I had used one of those round peg looms to make a cowl for the Munchkin for a Halloween costume - so I figured knitting again was my next step.  Then Mom gifted me with a bunch of her knitting needles - so I had no excuses.

For my first big project, I knit myself a scarf/shawl - a large rectangle with some self striping yarn.  It took me about a month. (ok  - just went back and checked the blog post evidence - it was more like 3 months)  It was straight knitting -nothing fancy.  But I fell in love with the yarn.  It is a soft acrylic cotton blend with a bit of nylon stretchy to it - it is perfect for keeping the air conditioning chill off in the office, but not being heavy on my neck

This project took just shy of 2 skeins (6 oz each) - and ended up at about 72" long.

So I decided to make a 2nd one - I dropped to a smaller needle size (don't ask what size because they are not marked and I have not figured out the sizes yet) and picked a different colorway of the same yarn.

I also decided to try some purling for practice so I added some borders on this one.  And made it a bit wider.  Again -flying without a pattern here.

I knit - and I knit - and I knit - and I knit.  A few road trips, many lunch hours....

And about 11 months later I still had this much left to go....

Until FINALLY I finished -about a year after I cast on.  I didn't get very good pictures of this before it was gifted to my sister Terri - but I did get a couple.



I've started a 3rd - same yarn in a 3rd color, same smaller needles - sans purling.   This is another for me -lets just hope it takes me less than a year to finish!

I'm being encouraged to make socks - or try a sweater.  At this rate I don't know if that is advisable.    If only knitting went as quickly as quilt piecing....
 

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very nice - it is a slippery slope, isn't it?

Jean(ie) said...

LOL... it is a slippery slope. Another thing to stash... yarn!

Susan C said...

Terri wore it to my house so I got to see it in person. Beautiful! Mom and Nana would be proud. I enjoy the portability of knitting but quilting is still my favorite.

LYL MYM

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Way to go on the finish! They are both gorgeous!

Higgins Design Studio said...

Terri uses it several days a week at work - EVERYONE comments on it (good comments).