Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Tales from the Garden 2010 - Squash

I am disappointed -a bit.

I love summer squash - especially zucchini - but recently have gotten hooked on yellow summer squash as well. In planning my garden this season, I left room for 2 yellow squash plants, and 2 zukes, as well as 2 melons (cantaloupe - yummy). (Small garden - so I plan things out pretty tightly).

Unfortunately the bugs/borers decided my garden looked mighty tasty, and all I have left is one lone zucchini plant. One producing delicious, small, tender squash. Yummy - but about one per week - far less than I had anticipated.

We supplement of course - the Saturday AM farmer's market is great for more small squash, and co-workers and other daycare parents have been more than generous with the large ones.

You know - the 'bigger than a baseball bat' ones?

The 'whoa how did it get that big' ones?

The "awesome for zucchini bread" ones?

Yeah - we've had some of those. They've been shredded and frozen, and will be made up into this (as copied by my sister from Mom's cookbook - verbatim)

Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tsp vanilla
1 cup oil
2 cups blended peeled zucchini (until juicy)
* Beat together *
Add
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon (or substitute 1/2 tsp clove, 1/2 tsp ginger & 1 tsp cinnamon)
1 cup chopped walnuts
* Mix well *
Pour into 2 loaf pans.
Bake at 325 F for 1 hour.

Any questions? Let me know.
Any samples? Send them this way!
Any extra squash? You are on your own!

3 comments:

Higgins Design Studio said...

Maybe you can bring a loaf or two when you come down our way to visit... Terri's zuke plant is not bearing much... and I love Zucchini Bread!

bobbyc said...

This is the second year in a row we've tried growing squash and zucchini. Both years, the bugs have chewed off all the leaves and killed the plant. We had one zucchini last year, and nothing this year.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Oh if only I liked squash... More for you, I guess! :)