Saturday, June 05, 2010

Free Range Strawberries

A few years ago I was given about 6 strawberry plants. I put them into one of those fun 'strawberry pots' with the little pockets on the sides, and tended them, and waited to see what they would do.

I got blossoms - and lots of growth - but no strawberries. I did some research on overwintering the strawberry pot, and did my best, but alas the plants dried out too much over the winter and did not survive.

The ones in the pot, that is.

The ones that had rooted where the vines had crept over the sides of the pot and down onto the ground.. those were another story.

Those came back - and spread a bit - and formed a nice ground cover around the area where I put my potted herbs. They flowered - and started to produce fruit - but our resident critters ate it all up.

This year....this year they have totally taken over the entire space (the pots you see in place are waiting for herbs to be planted - I wanted to "stake out" a spot for them before the strawberries got totally out of hand). They have even filled the space under the steps and partially under the deck.

And they have blossomed.
And they have borne fruit.
And the critters have either stayed away, don't live here anymore (ex-woodchuck), or can't get through the thicket of strawberry vines to get to the inner fruits.

I am in strawberry love!! They are not the sweetest berries I have ever eaten, nor are they very big (the biggest was about the size of a peanut M&M), but they are right out my back door and just perfect for a little snack!

And coming soon - "Raspberry Bliss"

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That is so cool! I love strawberries, and they are so good for you!

Barb said...

I haven't tasted a "sweet" strawberry in forever. They all seem pretty tasteless these days. We lived near Plant City for years and would go pick them in the fields there but they really weren't very good which is a shame cause I love me some strawberries.

Higgins Design Studio said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - fresh strawberries, still warm from the sun!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Very cool!!!