I'm getting ready to leave on a road trip - it will be about 18 hours in the car EACH WAY plus a few nights in hotels. Hubby does most of the driving, and the Munchkin keeps himself pretty entertained with videos in the back seat (highway games only get us so far...) so to keep myself from sleeping most of the way, I bring small projects to work on.
We are in a smaller vehicle this time - in the minivan bringing a quilt to bind was not a problem - as I had plenty of room. We are now in a RAV4 - so the working space is a little narrower (not to mention I don't have any quilts at the binding stage at the moment) - and the cargo space is a bit smaller - so this is what I have packed so far:
1. my neverending knitting project (shawl/scarf) - I can only work on this in spurts before I have to put it down, but I think I will be able to make a big dent in it over the course of the trip. Hoping to at least finish the first skein and get to the halfway point.
2. some felt Christmas ornaments. I started these 2 years ago for a Christmas in July - and that whole month got turned upside down, so they got put aside and have gone untouched until I dug them out this morning. I think I will finish them up, gift some, and put the rest in the members boutique at our quilt show this summer. All I am doing is stitching the two halves together with embroidery floss- running stitch - so these won't last me long as a project. The embellishments will have to wait until after we get home -I think that would be challenging to juggle on my lap.
3. sock monkeys - I have two to finish up that I need to do on the way, as they will be staying at our destination. These may be done before we leave - but if not they should assemble quickly en route.
4. hexies - I am jumping on the hexie bandwagon - I like the little ones, so have 100 3/4" templates and a bag full of 2" squares ready to go (Wonderland scraps, of course!!!)
5. any other ideas???? I do have some other wool/felt ornaments in a kit that I picked up but never started - they require some cutting and prep work ahead of departure - so not sure if I will have them ready for the trip.