The Wise Old Owl quilt was just width-of-fabric strips. I had less than a yard of the novelty owl fabric, and about the same amount of the teal. I just kept dipping into my stash and finding strips that would work with the colors in the owl print. I found a great variegated thread that pulled those colors as well, and just did some easy straight line quilting on this.
|owl fabric closeup|
The second quilt was also a 'quickie' - one week from conception to finish. My office organizes a charity golf tournament in June, and I had always thought about contributing items to the silent auction, but was not sure what to do. Lazy Sister Sue had given me some small scraps of three different golf themed fabrics - neither hubby nor I golf, and I was not sure quite what to do with them as they were each 1/4 yard or less.
Last Friday, Amanda Murphy Design posted a tutorial for a fun block. She did pinwheels in the center but I instantly thought it would work nicely with a focal or novelty fabric, and I set to work. The golf ball fabrics formed the block centers, the thin strips of golf course fabric formed the frames around the ball fabric, and I filled in with 1 1/2" green patches from my scrap bin and a variety of whites I had on hand. There was not quite enough of the golf course green, so I framed up 2 orange and brown blocks for a little touch of RIT.
Amanda's blog showed a layout with all the blocks going the same direction - and another one that used mirror image blocks but laid out differently than mine. to get this layout I alternated every other row with mirror image. I like the way the "peg" shaped white section alternates facing up or down and they kind of nestle together.
I finished things up by using up the rest of the golf ball fabric on the back, framing it with the golf tee fabrics to make my pieced backing. And again, just some straight line quilting with a pale green variegated on the front and ivory on the back to pull it all together. This one finished at 44x55 for a nice little picnic blanket.