Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Frugal Quilter?

Jill wants to know how I save time and money while quilting.  And since I am currently NOT able to do any quilting due to a total revamp of my studio (more on that to follow- soon - I promise) AND I am home with a sick child today - I thought I would ponder this for a few moments.

Saving money is easier for me than saving time...

The first answers are the obvious - shop sales and coupons.  Be it your LQS or JoAnn's or whatever store you prefer - find a way to score any discounts you can.  I like my Gutermann thread -and buy neutrals for piecing - the biggest spools I can get - but only when I have a coupon or it is on sale.

Next - scrap quilt... I use bits down to 1" square for various projects so I get the most out of every yard.

Third - become a frequent customer at your local library!  Quilt books and patterns abound - at least here -and help fulfill that urge for new books and patterns.  Online resources for free quilt patterns are numerous, too - I have a digital file folder full of patterns that could keep me quilting for the next many years!!!

Fourth -don't be afraid to fly without a pattern!  Some of my scrappy "improvisations" have worked because I took techniques and ideas from other patterns and books and ran with them, making something my own (and using up scraps in the process).  Once you have the basics down from a few quilts - you should be able to figure it out!

Fifth - repurpose!  I do this more in craft sewing than in quilting, but my hubby's worn out jeans or plaid shirts find new life in my scrap bin to be turned into something fun!

Sixth - shop for projects, not for stash (yeah - I fail at this all the time).

Saving time?  I will have to get back to you on that one.  Any suggestions?


6 comments:

Barb said...

Great tips,

thanks,

Marj said...

Good advice. I fail at the coupon thing at JoAnn's when I can't think of anything else that I need/want and end up purchasing a book. Guess I should check the library and use the coupon for thread.

Anonymous said...

I'm learning to shop for project, too...

Deb A said...

Good tips. Thanks for sharing. Hope the LO is feeling better soon. It's not fun when the wee ones are not feeling well.

Deanna said...

Thanks for sharing. Probably the reason saving money is easier is that money is replacable (meaning that you can earn more); time can only be spent once.

Shellie said...

I find it easy to shop for projects not yardage...funny. I guess Im wired that way. Great tips. Hope the monkey feels better. I cant wait to see you room when it is finished.