Saturday, January 10, 2009

On My Honor

Ever since Robert Kaufman came out with their line of Boy Scouts of America fabric, I have been planning a quilt for my Eagle Scout hubby with it. I was not crazy about the free pattern issued by the company and took a bit of time to decide which of the fabrics I would use, and what pattern I would eventually make.

My decision on fabrics was made by my LQS - I went to see what they had gotten in and decided to just run with those and not worry about buying the other prints. And after hubby admired the boldness of the graduation quilt I made for Joe, and given the large scale print of a few of the fabrics, I decided a rail fence variation might work best and chose the 2nd one on this page.

I ran out of the green stripe and was one block short. I ended up cutting a block of the red, and cutting out the Eagle Scout patch from the patch motif fabric -which I then attached with a thick zig zag stitch, giving it almost the edge feel of a uniform patch.

I think I am sending this one off to be quilted - I want to do a bit more than stitch in the ditch but I think anything geometric would fight with the directionality of the fabrics and I am not quite up to speed on my FMQ on Zoe yet.

Merry Christmas sweetie!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

The quilt looks great!

Anonymous said...

That turned out great! I love the red block in the center, great way to highlight the Eagle Scout patch. Can't wait to see it quilted.

LYL MYM

Regena@QuiltnQuiltthings said...

Regina
thanks for the great idea for the eagle quilt. My son has his court of honor in Feb. I bought some of the scout fabric but couldn't decide what to do. It will be fun to see what I make of it.
Thanks
Regena
quiltfever3.blogspot.com