I am not sure whether to call this a 2013 quilt, or a 2014 quilt. I pieced this over Christmas break but finished it today - it was not a planned project, but a friend is undergoing some medical stuff and I wanted to do a quilt for him. I had seen this pattern online and wanted to try it for myself. Only it featured the Moda hexagon precuts - which I didn't have. And a lot of white - which I didn't think was the right choice for this particular project.
I wanted to use the grey for my background, and I wanted to cut my own hexagons. Since I have the Hex-N-More ruler from Jaybird Quilts, I figured I could cut away at a bundle of batik and do my own thing. Except I didn't figure on how hexagons are measured - I did 6.5" strips figuring I would get 6" hexagons, which is what I thought the Moda precuts were. Except they are 6" through the middle, not height, so my hexagons ended up both taller and wider than the Moda ones.
No trouble - I adjusted my sashing accordingly (um - after I had already cut it too narrow and had to go back and recut), and dropped one hexagon out of each row - adding them in on my backing. The finished dimensions are about the same - though I used less fabric in my side strips as a result.
I am happy with how it turned out - and would probably make it or something like it again. Start to finish for the piecing including the cutting was less than a day.
The quilting I finished up on this today - just straight lines with some variegated Aurifil on the front, and a solid grey thread on the back. Binding was the same fabric as the background, and as we were home with a "snow day" due to the Polar Vortex I was able to quilt AND bind this today (and snuggle under it in the process).
The recipient is a big baseball fan - so that dictated both the backing fabric and the name of the quilt.