For the backing, again I chose to not cut one of the fabric panels, and brought it out to the width I needed with some more of the Dick and Jane text. A soft yellow star that was included in all 3 Dick and Jane quilts formed the rest of the backing -and with this project I pretty much used up the last of it.
Quilting this was fun. Jill had brought a selection of different threads with her for me to try, and had a great golden yellow/orange variegated that worked nicely - not overpowering the fabrics but popping nicely to show some quilting detail. I did some moderately heavy straight lines through the shirting and word panel, then followed the hexagons in a great zig zaggy pattern that shows up nicely on the back and adds some nice dimension to the whole project.
I finished the whole thing with a dark indigo blue/white binding. I just love the vibrant colors on this. It will be a door prize at the event - so it could go to anyone at the Munchkin's school. Last year's quilt was won by someone who works in the cafeteria. It is a great way to thank ALL the staff that make the school run so smoothly.