Sunday, December 02, 2012

Pat Pat Pat

That's the sound of me patting myself on the back. I am feeling pretty pleased with myself right now...

In the course of a week, I created a 60x80 quilt top and pieced backing - from a photograph and a concept - with no pattern or cutting dimensions to follow, writing my own instructions as I went along.  It tested my math skills, tried my patience, and stretched my horizons.

It involved stenciling - (for the first time)
It involved a lot of mitered corners - (for the first time)
It involved some "knitting" of fabric into a specific color selection and sequence (Tom Baker fans will understand)

It involved 3 weekend afternoons, and 3 weeknights - mixed in with the full time job, Scouts, Lions Club, bowling,  house renovations, laundry, pattern testing for something else, a bit of knitting and the normal number of hours of sleep.

The best part was that the Munchkin liked spending the weekend hours upstairs with me -we watched some holiday specials and he pulled out the perler beads to work on some of his own projects while I sewed.   He also modeled for me so you could get an idea of the scale of this project.  This picture was before the final side and top pieces were added - and the quilt outgrew my design wall.
 ... now to get this puppy quilted up!
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is GREAT Regina - thanks for the photos - PAT PAT !

Jennifer said...

Awesome! You deserve every pat :)

Jean(ie) said...

wow, you rocked the Tardis...

Matt said...

...vwooooorp...vwooooorp...vwooooorp...vwooooorp...

Anjeanette said...

Pat is well deserved! That is awesome. I love the dimension you have going on in each square. I do also really like the look of a mitered corner. It is easy and well worth the effort. I was going to miter corners on a current quilt, but I didn't have enough lenght in the sashing to do so.

I love this project. How fun!!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Pat pat pat!!!!