Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Good Tidings

In typical Regina fashion, and despite an early and organized start to my holiday crafting, I am spending much of this post-Christmas week off from work finishing up some gifties that did not make it in Santa's first sleigh run.

First I will show you the BIG project -my MIL's Gingerboys quilt - which has the names of all the family members on it. (and yes, I did finish this the day before it was to be given)

Giving this was so fun - she has a quilt on the wall that my SIL made, and I pinned this one over top of it while she was in the other room eating dinner (it was a buffet so she did not notice I was not at the table - she ate last). About 45 minutes later she finally made her way back into the living room - she was checking on things and looking down, until she got to the middle of the room (I was peering in from the doorway behind her).

She froze, looked at the wall, and said quietly "where did this come from" - I hid behind the door jamb quickly as she looked around for the "culprit" but she saw me - plus I think she knew as soon as she saw it.

Everyone had fun finding their names and recongizing some shared fabrics, and the table runners to match that I gave each family were a big hit as well (forgot to take photos of those - oops).

Another giftie that DID make the first round delivery were these three journal covers.

The two blue ones are felt, and the initials are sewn on a pocket of matching felt using a technique I learned from Pollyanna.

The burgundy one is made from some kimono silk gifted to me by Mama Matsumoto - one of my host moms in Kanazawa. I added the ribbons for a bit of extra pizzaz, and just put some beads at the bottom.

The inside of these is just your basic marble covered composition book.

The next two little gifties have yet to be delivered -and since both recipients read this blog - well - SURPRISE!!!
Both baskets have criss cross coasters in them, as well as a few other goodies. The Scottie Basket has a Doggy Loggy Bag in it, and since the scotties live next door to me, it's totally selfish!!!

And now off to sew for ME - working on a fleece jacket for myself and trying to reset my brain from a 1/4" seam allowance to a 5/8" seam allowance. Not as easy as it sounds.

Santa is a bit snowbound right now - so these things will linger here for a few days longer before they brighten someone's January. There are a few other little projects done - poncho for Mom, another gift basket, pj pants for the Munchkin, and a whole pile of "Christmas" Cards to be written and sent.

But those can all wait until NEXT YEAR!!!

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Anjeanette said...

I love the way the gingerbread quilt turned out. You are so cute to sneak it in there like that!!

Thanks for the shout out!! I love the way your journals turned out.

I totally love your baskets!! I have them on my to do list. How were they to make? Any hints or suggestions since you have made some now?

You are so talented.

Happy New Year to you too!!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Great quilt and prezzies! Happy New Year!